Monday, November 14, 2011

Impromptu Tempeh Tacos


I have a famous recipe for tempeh tacos that are loved by my husband and friends, but these are impromptu ones I made last night. It was well past dinner time, Jason was starving, and I knew I needed to make something fast. Thankfully I had a package of tempeh in my fridge, corn tortillas, and  green bell peppers and tomatoes from the farmers market. I can't believe they still have tomatoes! Also, it helps that I always have cashews in my freezer and tablespoon sized lemon cubes to make a quick ranch dressing. I keep lime cubes too which came in handy for the salsa.

The best part about tempeh tacos are the crispy tempeh kernels. My sissy in law says they are like corn nuts. The way to achieve this is to crumble up the tempeh and drop it into a shallow pan of very hot oil. Then you must leave it undisturbed until the sides are golden brown. Flip, then repeat. When you read about how to prepare tempeh, many will say to steam it first to get the bitterness out. I find that to be completely unnecessary for crispy tempeh kernels. The only time I steam tempeh is if I need to infuse moisture in it to make a patty, like Isa Chandra's famous Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes. This recipe makes about 8 tacos. Top with my ranch dressing and even some sliced avocados if you like. Enjoy!

Crispy Tempeh
1 8 oz package tempeh
1/2 ts salt
1/2 ts garlic powder
1/2 ts cumin
1/2 ts paprika
2 Tb olive oil
  • Crumble tempeh into a large bowl and mix in salt and spices.
  • Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat until oil is shiny, but not smoking
  • Drop in tempeh and listen for the sizzle. If it is not sizzling, your  oil is not hot enough.
  • Give it a little shake to make sure its spread evenly over the pan, then leave it alone! Allow it to get nice and golden underneath.
  • Flip, repeat.


Simple Salsa
3 diced roma tomatoes
2 diced small green bell peppers
1 Tb lime juice
1/2 ts salt
pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment