Saturday, August 27, 2011

Mai Fun Noodle Bowl

Hey everyone! Thursday was my birthday and I didn't go out to dinner. Is that crazy? I know its an unwritten rule that you have to go out to some establishment or at least order pizza, but I was craving something made by yours truly, plus I had all the ingredients for a soul satisfying fun bowl that took me no time to make. Jason said this was the most flavorful noodle soup I've ever made. The secret is the Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base. Its not a powder. Its a thick liquid the color of turmeric. The dried mushrooms are a gourmet blend of Porcini, Morels, Brazilian, Ivory Portabellas, Shiitake, and Oyster. Check out this huge container I got from Costco! I hope they don't stop selling it!
The broth is also flavored with dried kombu, which is a sea weed. I got mine at Whole Foods, but if you can't find it, I'm sure the soup will still be great. This recipe makes enough for 4 servings. Enjoy!

Ingredients
4 cups filtered water
2 sheets dried pacific kombu
2  large handfuls dried gourmet mushrooms (the ones I mentioned above)
4 Tbs white miso paste
3 Tbs soy sauce
2 Tbs Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base
1 ts garlic powder
1 ts minced ginger (mine is from a jar by The Ginger People)
1 ts Sriracha
8 oz Annie Chun's brown rice noodles a.k.a Mai Fun
1 bunch baby bok choy, roughly chopped
1 Tbs chives

Directions
  • Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil
  • Add noodles and boil for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally
  • Drain and rinse under cold water
  • In a large pot, soak the kombu and dried mushrooms in the filtered water for 15 minutes
  • Bring water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes
  • Remove kombu and add miso paste, soy sauce, No Chicken Base, garlic powder, ginger, and Sriracha
  • Stir broth ingredients together and add bok choy, stirring until the bok choy is wilted
  • Add noodles and chives

4 comments:

  1. That's pretty awesome. Your elaborate cooking is putting my simple Daiya quesadillas to shame. Happy belated birthday by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i lovvvvvvvvve mushrooms! and happy birthday! :) ~ http://www.nicoleandgwendolyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Nothing wrong with Daiya quesedillas=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. I think it may be help all of you. Thanks. click me Useful information shared..I am very happy to read this article..thanks for giving us nice info.Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.

    ReplyDelete