Sunday, February 12, 2012

Brown Rice Crispy Bites All Dressed Up

I know this is my third sweet post in a row, but I swear this is not just a dessert blog! I made these for a party and saved these for myself. They are a version of my other brown rice crispy treats, "dressed up" with a top layer of chocolate. Before I get into the recipe, I'd like to thank all 28 of you for following my blog. My transition to a vegan diet was a transition in my heart, mind, and soul. I find that I am happiest while sharing my new vegan heart with others through good food, hence, the reason for this blog. I want to help newbies, vets, the veg curious, and those who just want a meatless monday. So thank you again for your readership; it means the world to me. Oh, and I will post more savory foods in the future! Here's the recipe for my Brown Rice Crispy Bites.

Ingredients:
8 cups brown rice cereal
1 1/2 cups unsalted almond butter
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup organic brown sugar
1 cup agave nectar
2 ts vanilla
1/2 ts salt
2 cups dairy free chocolate chips 
1/4 cup non dairy milk
1 ts vanilla
1/4 ts salt

Directions:
  1. Line a 9x13 in brownie pan with tin foil.
  2. Combine almond butter, coconut oil, brown sugar, agave, 2 ts vanilla, and 1/2 ts salt in a large pot on medium heat. Use a whisk to stir frequently.
  3. When mixture begins to bubble, continue stirring for another two minutes.
  4. Turn off heat and incorporate the cereal.
  5. Pour mixture into the lined brownie pan and press surface down with a rubber spatula.
  6. Melt chocolate chips, non dairy milk, vanilla, and 1/4 ts salt together in a double boiler. (Mine is a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water)
  7. Spread evenly over the rice crispy mixture and allow to cool for 1 hour. Speed the process up by putting it in the fridge.
  8. Turn it out onto a cutting board and remove tin foil. Cut into squares and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. mmm yum! Would maple syrup work in place of agave, you think? Agave syrup is hard to get in my teeny tiney town.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. maple syrup would impart a wonderful flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds awesome...as do all your ideas! Sent to a friend who owns SUGAR bakery in Wilmington, NC

    ReplyDelete